In light of recent remarks criticizing the Ridgway Ouray Community Council and its membership, it seems appropriate to share with the citizens of Ouray County ROCC's mission and some of its projects and service to our communities.
ROCC is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to build, nourish and protect the healthy community spirit of our county. ROCC is dedicated to quality of life issues that help shape the future of the county.
ROCC’s areas of interest and action are:
• Land Use – ROCC supports land use practices that encourage responsible growth, follow the guidelines of the master plan, preserve the scenic beauty of our county and protect our property values
• Public Lands Management – ROCC supports the responsible and sustainable management of public lands
• Renewable Energy Resources – ROCC supports expanding the utilization of renewables
• Sustainable Living Practices – Supports local foods, recycling and energy & water conservation
• Water Resource Management – Assisted in the creation of The Uncompahgre Watershed Partnership; supports the watershed plan for the Uncompahgre River Basin
• ROCC donates to numerous community nonprofits – Ridgway Cares, Uncompahgre Watershed Partnership, Music in the Park, Black Canyon Land Trust, theCommunity Pantry, Ouray Trail Group, and Yankee Boy Conservation Foundation
• ROCC runs a number of community service events – Adopt-a-Highway, annual spaghetti dinner with Citizen of the Year Award, annual Parking Lot Sale and ROCC Talks featuring community experts and leaders
It is a bedrock belief of ROCC that civic engagement is vital to good governance and to a healthy future for our county. All citizens of Ouray County are welcome and encouraged to become members of this valuable organization. Check out our website at www.roccnet.org and get further involved in your community.
– Rozanne Evans, for the Ridgway Ouray Community Council Board of Directors