Montrose Kidnapping Case to Go to District Court
by Beverly Corbell
Sep 15, 2011 | 1953 views | 0 0 comments | 5 5 recommendations | email to a friend | print
ANDREW WILLIAMS
ANDREW WILLIAMS
slideshow
MONTROSE – After hearing the victim describe his ordeal in detail, Montrose County Judge Jerry Montgomery ruled Thursday, Sept. 8, that Andrew Williams, 26, a Montrose security guard, will face second-degree kidnapping charges in Montrose District Court.

The alleged victim, the manager of a local motel, said he had only been in Montrose for about four months when he went out for a late night drink with a friend at a downtown bar in July.

After he left the bar, he testified, Williams left behind him, forcing him at gunpoint into a car where he was beaten, tortured with a mock execution and held captive for about three hours; he told the court that he had never seen Williams before, and had not spoken with him earlier in the bar.

Speaking with a heavy accent, the victim, a native of India, said he feared for his life during the whole ordeal, which began at about 2 a.m. in the bar’s parking lot. He said Williams was wearing what looked like a police officer’s badge. He showed a gun, grabbed the victim’s hand so tightly “it felt like it was breaking,” and then pulled another badge on a chain out of his pocket which he tried to make the victim put on.

“He had a gun in his hand and he hands me a badge and told me to put it on,” the victim said. “I said, ‘I will not wear a badge because I am not a police officer.’”

Williams allegedly then drove the victim to a couple of different houses in Montrose and knocked on the doors, but no one was at home, and then took him “out in the country,” where it was very dark, the victim said, kicking him repeatedly and making him kneel to the ground, then pushing his head to the ground with the barrel of a gun and repeatedly telling the victim he was going to kill him.

The victim, a father of two, said Williams first asked him about his family and then what his religion was. Even though he thought he was facing death, the victim said he refused to answer.

“I would not tell him my religion,” he said. “I have respect for my religion, but I can tell he thinks I am a Muslim, the way he made me kneel seven or eight times.”

The victim said Williams, who “had big muscles,” then threw him against the car, kicked him and “squeezed me, very hard.” He said he offered Williams money, which was refused. He told Williams he was from India.

Deputy District Attorney Seth Ryan then asked the alleged victim if Williams had indicated whether or not his being from India was a problem.

“No, but I can feel it,” he replied.

Detective Michele Farmer then testified that during her investigation, she interviewed the bartender at the bar where the victim was, prior to the alleged abduction, who said that Williams, who was known as “Jersey,” had come in the bar late and had offered to buy the victim a drink.

That comment led defense attorney Terry O’Malley to plead that the victim was “totally unreliable as a witness” because he earlier testified that he had not spoken with Williams before being accosted outside the bar.

The judge disagreed, and bound the case over to district court, with the next hearing set for Monday, Oct. 3, at 1:30 p.m.

During the investigation, Farmer said Williams’ home was searched and police recovered clothing matching the description of what he was wearing on July 7, the night the alleged kidnapping occurred. Police also recovered a black handgun, “lots of” assorted badges, a computer tower and a camera.

Williams was arrested soon after at the Olathe Corn Festival, where he was working as a security guard.

Williams’ attorneys previously filed a complaint that some of the items seized, including the camera and computer equipment, were not named in the search warrant, and should be returned.

Montgomery said that matter would be considered at the district court level. The judge also denied a reduction of Williams’ $60,000 cash bond, which O’Malley said was put up by Williams’ family, and asked for a reduction to a $25,000 surety bond.

Montgomery said the bond matter could also be handled in district court, and D.A. Ryan commented that the victim objected to Williams’ bond being reduced.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet