The Ridgway resident (and former teacher in the Telluride school system), who was there imploring council to request a moratorium on further smart meter installations, left the Community Center meeting room and collapsed in the hallway. Paramedics were quickly on the scene, and McDonnel was transported first to Montrose, then to St. Mary’s Hospital in Grand Junction.
On Thursday, according to McDonnel’s sister Chris Niles, she underwent surgery for an aortic aneurism. She remained in critical condition, in an induced coma, in the cardiovascular ICU as of Monday afternoon.
Niles said McDonnel’s son James had made the trip from Houston and was with his mother. Another sister, who lives in New York, was also on hand at St. Mary’s.
Niles told The Watch that her sister “felt so strongly she needed to alert people” about the potential dangers of smart meters. McDonnel is chemically and electromagnetically sensitive. She told Niles before the Wednesday meeting: “This is going to be the greatest fight of my life.”