Former D.A. Convicted of Violating Bail Bond
by Beverly Corbell
Sep 07, 2011 | 1654 views | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print
MONTROSE –After a three day trial on bail bond violations, former Montrose District Attorney Myrl Serra was found guilty last week of all three counts against him: violation of bail bond conditions, violation of a protection order, and harassment.

Serra had pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Serra still faces a second trial on a felony of sexually assaulting a former employee, set to begin on Oct. 31, the same day he was ordered by 21st Judicial District Judge David Bottger to appear on his recent convictions.

According to KKCO Channel 11 news, Serra took the stand during the trial and “denied the accusations that he embarrassed a former employee of the D.A.’s office at a shopping trip to a local department store.”

Serra’s attorney Colin Bresee said this week that he and his client respect the decision of the jury in the recent case and now the second case will move forward during discovery and pretrial conferences before the trial starts.

“There’s a lot of strategy that goes into that, and we are looking at all of our options,” Bresee said. “We have a lot of decisions on how to move forward, as does the prosecutor, about what’s best for Myrl, for the victims, and the community.”

According to court documents, the prosecution asked for an upgrade to Serra’s bond, but that was denied.

The bail bond violations concerned an encounter on Dec. 5, 2010 between Serra and the alleged victim at Beall’s Department Store in Montrose. According to the arrest affidavit, the woman allegedly spotted Serra coming into the store, so she “hunched over” behind a clothes rack. The affidavit states that the woman was “…hoping Serra would go to the interior of the store and she could sneak out behind him.”

Instead, according to court documents, when she looked over the top of the rack, Serra was staring at her. She said he moved the clothes around on the rack, never taking his eyes off her, for about 15 seconds.

No words were exchanged with Serra, the woman testified, and he turned back into the store, at which point she left.

A few days later, CBI agents later viewed videotapes from the store and decided there was probable cause for Serra’s arrest on Dec. 22.

Serra was first arrested on Sept. 30, 2010 to face charges of sexual contact with no consent, a class 4 felony; indecent exposure, a class 2 misdemeanor; and first-degree official misconduct, a class 2 misdemeanor.

The charges were upped on Nov. 3 of last year when Serra appeared before Bottger in Grand Junction.

Serra now faces a total of seven charges. In addition to the first three charges, he also faces a class 4 felony extortion, two more misdemeanor charges of indecent exposure, and misdemeanor official misconduct.

The charges resulted from an investigation by Colorado Bureau of Investigation agents, who originally went to the D.A.’s office in Delta to look into alleged inappropriate and sexual-based text messages from Serra to his ex-girlfriend, who had tried unsuccessfully several times to obtain restraining orders against Serra.

According to court documents, while the agents were at the Delta office, they were approached by an employee who told them Serra made a pass at her, which she rebuked, at the end of an evening she spent with other employees at a local bar.

But the woman told the agents of some other employees’ experiences with Serra, and the agents uncovered evidence that Serra allegedly intimidated female employees into committing sex acts in his office. One witness said she complied with Serra’s wishes because she didn’t want to lose her job, and that Serra was always threatening to fire people.

“I think he knew he had enough fear instilled in me that I wouldn’t say a word,” she said. Another woman complained that Serra had “slapped her on the behind.”

The number of women subjected to unwanted advances from Serra is unknown, because victims’ names have been removed from court documents. CBI agents searched Serra’s office in early October of 2010, gathering computer equipment and printed emails related to the investigation. They also used special lighting and chemicals to reveal evidence in his office.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet