Ouray Original Gertrude Perotti Dies at 95
by Peter Shelton
Feb 02, 2012 | 1302 views | 0 0 comments | 11 11 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Image 1 / 2
<b>ALL GUSSIED UP</b> – Gertrude and Jerald Perotti dressed up for the camera. The Perottis were among the oldest ranching families in Ouray County, going back four generations. Gertrude died last week at 95. (Photo courtesy of Rolan Perotti)
March 17, 1916 – January 23, 2012

RIDGWAY – One of Ouray County’s pioneer originals, Gertrude Perotti, died last week at Valley Manor in Montrose, where she had been living for the last nine years.

I found this story of mine in The Watch archives about Gertrude’s 92nd birthday party at the True Grit Café:

I stopped by to find Gertrude, in a wheelchair, holding court at the head of a long table. She was wearing a green tam-o’-shanter and sweater combo, both liberally sprinkled with sewn-on white shamrocks. At the far end of the table sat a green-and-white birthday cake.

“I didn’t know your birthday was St. Patrick’s Day,” I said, sliding into a chair to her right.

“Gosh an b’gorrah,” she practically spat. “I’m as Irish as St. Paddy’s pigs.” She reminded me a little of pale-eyed Joan Hickson, the actress who played the wallflower Miss Marple in all those Agatha Christie mysteries on BBC. Except that Gertrude is no wallflower.

“We never named the pigs,” she continued, unbidden. “The horses we named. Pepper was a sorrel. He looked like a red chili pepper. Took a liking to the barrel of sour milk. He’d look around and if he thought no one was watching, he’d take a corner of that tarp in his teeth and jerk his head back like that…”

Gertrude and Jerald Perotti lived for five decades on a small, tilted farm east of Hwy. 550 where it takes the big curve at Orvis Hot Springs. They raised chickens, rabbits, ducks, milk cows, sheep, hogs, and horses. Gertrude always had a large garden and lined the root cellar shelves for winter.

Gertrude was born Mary Gertrude Beach on Horsefly Mesa on St. Paddy’s Day, 1916. Jerald grew up on the vast family ranch on Dry Creek, on the other side of the Uncompahgre River Valley. They were “reared” (Gertrude’s term) only about 25 miles apart – distances were greater then – but Gertrude and Jerald didn’t meet until high school in Ridgway. “Sparks flew,” Gertrude said, and they were married in 1937. They lived first with Jerald’s father, Joe, on the Dry Creek ranch, and then on various ranches in the Deer Creek and Cow Creek areas. Eventually, renting became “a pain,” so they scraped together the money for their own place, the one south of town, in 1950.

That’s where we visited them first in the spring of 1981. Actually, we’d introduced ourselves earlier at the Ridgway School’s annual talent show. Here was this utterly unselfconscious old lady in tennis shoes stomping and reciting poetry and playing the harmonica. She invited our two little girls out to see the baby lambs. Gertrude slopped the pigs while Jerald, as silent and handsome as Gary Cooper, worked on the ancient tractor. Afterwards we warmed up by the kitchen woodstove.

The girls couldn’t quite wrap their tongues around all of the R’s in Gertrude, so the name, in our house, became “Gutrude.” Gutrude was a force, an irascible old-timer who befriended, or at least tolerated, one of the new families moving into – and irrevocably changing – her world.

At the birthday party, someone raised a beer bottle to toast Gertrude’s longevity. Not ungrateful, she nevertheless leaned over to me and volunteered, “I never could take spiritous liquors. My mother, who came from Louisville, would throw back a whiskey just like that. But I never could.”

Not for lack of toughness. One time when I was out picking up a load of her excellent fertilizer for my garden, Gertrude told me about the mosquito-spraying program. She’d started it following the death of her second son, Loran, from encephalitis in 1974. (The Perottis had two other boys, Rolan and Orlan Mark.) All by herself, she drove the county collecting money from ranchers and townspeople, hired the spray plane, bought the chemicals, organized the state police to shut down the highway for refueling stops and, on a still morning sometime before the Fourth of July, pretty much eradicated the mosquito problem in Ouray County. Small birds and bees be damned.

Jerald worked for a time at the Idarado Mine. He did a stint as Ridgway Town Marshal. For the last 20 years of his life, he worked for the Western Area Power Administration in Montrose. He passed away in 1991. For most of the time we knew her, Gertrude supplemented her fresh-egg income by writing for, and then delivering daily, the Montrose Daily Press. As familiar as the hills, you’d see her every afternoon, rain or shine or snow, slouched purposefully behind the wheel of her dilapidated Japanese station wagon.

And every year, she’d be back at the school for talent show night, “Always,” according to the book Ridgway Recipes and Remembrances, “taking first place” with her irrepressible harmonica tunes. In 2003, no longer able to drive or milk “the bossies,” as she called them, she moved to Valley Manor.

Someone brought the cake over with a symbolic handful of candles for Gertrude to blow out. She wiped them out with a single breath, adding rhetorically, “Windy old bag!” to much approving laughter.

I had a temporary brain cramp and couldn’t remember for sure what talent Gertrude had brought to the school talent contests. Singing? I wondered aloud, vaguely recalling “Jimmy Crack Corn.”

“Mouth harp!” she corrected sharply. And then, “Let’s see, I got it right here.” She needed help opening the worn black case, but then she raised the silver to her lips and belted out a completely serviceable “Yankee Doodle Dandy,” adding the cornball coda: Dum, da-da-da, dum-dum . . . Dum, Dum!

Genuine cornball. True link – one of the last – to another time. Thank you, Gutrude. Safe travels on your way.

Contact Peter Shelton at pshelton@watchnewspapers.com

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet